Monday, October 20, 2008

What about Faith?

We have a new group here at camp, and it has really livened things up. This is the group that I got to work with last October, during my first visit to Eleuthera, so it is wonderful to have them back! Tonight was our second of many gatherings together, and Abe, Emily and I decided to use it as a time to try and build team unity. I thought that the plan was us to guide them in some trust building activities, but it ended up that since they have an odd number of people, I was volunteered to take part. I knew that the activities were going to involve mouse traps somehow, but I wasn't sure what they were going to be used for. Well I found out quite quickly. The rules were as follows... one team member got blind folded, and could no longer talk. The other team member then led them to a different place in the room, where they set a mouse trap. The team member that could see had to talk them through setting off the mouse trap by just talking to them. The first time around I was the one talking my blindfolded teammate into setting off the mouse trap. THEN IT WAS MY TURN!! It completely freaked me out! My heart began beating fast, I was incredibly nervous, and I was convinced that I was somehow going to be misguided, and in the process lose a couple of fingers. All of the teams finished before me, and it seemed like the only thing I could focus on was the fact that I didn't trust my teammate to lead me to safety. After at least 10 minutes (which felt more like forever) I finally took the plunge.... I set off the mouse trap successfully and didn't lose any appendages!

Even though I was eventually able to set off the mouse trap, it keeps playing back in my mind how difficult it was to TRUST! I didn't trust her. I couldn't trust her. I wasn't in control. That fact wouldn't concern me too much except for the fact that I thought that I trusted people, and if I was proven wrong in that, then what does that mean about my trust in God? If I was really put to the test, would I have faith enough to trust Him with complete abandon?

At this point, it seems that the answer is obvious.... and its not the answer that I want it to be.

I know that this probably isn't the kind of post that you would expect to see from me, but this is my life, and it seems that the Lord wants to reveal certain weaknesses, which I am thankful for. Please pray that the Lord will finish the good work that He has started.

2 comments:

Skudlarek's said...

the good work which He started will continue until we are reunited fully with Him! I'm proud of you girl and I love you!

The Willis Family said...

We are always praying for you! and no matter what Keep Posting!! Even though we can't be there with you, we want to know whats going on in your life, the good and the bad. :o) this helps us to pray for you better. I miss you sooo much! I can't wait til you come home. I hope it's soon! love you!!