Sunday, October 12, 2008

I'm Back

Hey everybody! I wanted to let everyone know that I'm now back on Eleuthera until May 2009. I got back September 19th and have had to deal with some of the repercussions of the storms and hurricanes. For the first couple of days, I didn't have access to the internet or a phone. Thankfully, things here at camp are up and running again so I can begin to focus on the teams that are going to be coming down to serve.



Since being back, I had the opportunity to go down to Great Inagua, the southern most island in the Bahamas as well as one of the hardest hit Bahamian islands that Ike devastated. Bahamas Methodist Habitat was the first group that was able to get to the island to help the people in whatever way possible. Roofs were what was most affected by the storms, so that has been our main focus. We've teamed up with NEMA, the Bahamas national distaster relief organization, who has helped provide many of the supplies needed to repair the roofs.



I stayed in Inagua for about 8 days working mainly on roofs. I flew down with 3 other BMH staff members, and we were greeted by a sea of blue. I'm not talking about the blue ocean, but the houses that are covered in blue tarps. It was an overwhelming sight. I knew we were coming into a desperate situation, and could only pray that the Lord would give us the strength that we needed, to help improve the lives of the people of Inagua.



Now about the actual work... If you've never done roofing, let me tell you, it is really hard work and its even harder to do when the heat index is 120 degrees! It was so hot, that our shoes were melting on the roofs, but that didn't slow us down. Even though we were working in uncomfortable conditions, the volunteers that have come down have done an amazing job. By the time I left, the total number of roofs completed was around 25! This next week will be our last as far as constantly being on Inagua goes. There is a volunteer group coming to Eleuthera from Cary, NC and we need to have them do some work here on Eleuthera. Then, if everything goes as planned, we will move on to help out Grand Turk on November 2nd.



If there is anyone interested in coming to help out with the hurricane relief efforts, we would love to have you come! Please let me know, and we'll see what we can work out.



Now for really fun news... the reason that I left Inagua and came back to Eleuthera, was because some of my family came to visit! It was so much fun having them here, and getting to show them where I live, and introduce them to the people here on the island that I've come to love. We had quite a full week of snorkeling, visiting various beaches, taking pictures, and eating lots of wonderful Bahamian food. I said goodbye to them yesterday (except my dad who left Thursday). So now I'm going to try to catch up on the work I put off.



I'm so glad that the Lord has given me the opportunity to come back to this wonderful place again and serve Him. Thank you for all of your prayers and emails. I'm definitely encouraged to know that you all are praying for me! I love you all and will try to write again soon.

Grace and Peace!

1 comment:

Erika J. said...

Hey Leia, so good to hear from you here. I have been checking this blog to see if you were using it yet. I'm glad to hear your dad visited. I didn't realize he was down there. It sounds like you had a great time. I love you much and I'm praying for you.