Thursday, October 18, 2007

Seeing Eleuthera





Good news, I got my luggage yesterday! I don't think I've ever been as happy to lug around 50 pounds as I was then. Since my boss is out of town, I haven't had any work to do yet, so a lady that lives here on the island has been showing me some of her favorite spots. Yesterday my favorite spot that we stopped was a cavern on one of the beaches. It took a little bit of climbing to get to it, but it was well worth it. It looked like something straight out of a movie. Today, she took me snorkeling on the north end of the island. It was about a 45 minute drive, because where I'm staying is closer to the middle of the island. I have yet to see a section of the island that isn't absolutely beautiful!
The peole here seem to be really friendly. While driving through town, it is completely normal to wave to everyone that you see. Some of the locals have told me that I have to try two of the delicacies before I leave, conch and stone crab.
One thing I have been really suprised about is the speed of life here. I figured it would be a little slower than in America, but it is amazing how laid back these people are. Their theory is that if something doesn't get done today, it will get done tomorrow. This pace of life might be hard to get used to for an extended period of time. I'm sure my life will pick up speed quickly when Abe and the mission team gets in town Sunday. Until then, I'm going to take full advantage of all of this free time!
I pray that everyone is doing well!

7 comments:

Skudlarek's said...

I love you and can't wait to hear from you again.

Trev said...

Glad you dont have to wear a grass skirt or anything. Keep us updated when you can.

The Willis Family said...

i'm glad you got your luggage! It sounds like your having a good time. just remember to be there have a good time, don't stress about anything and the Lord will reveal to you what He wants you to do. I love you and I'm praying for you!!

PJ said...

Where exactly was the cavern?

Leia* * * * * * * * * * * * * * said...

I saw so much the first day we were out, I would need to check with the girl that was showing me around for the specific location and name. I feel like it was maybe called Hidden Cave? This may help a bit in the meantime... I'm pretty sure its between James Cistern and Rainbow Cay, on the Atlantic side.

PJ said...

Any photos?

Leia* * * * * * * * * * * * * * said...

Some, but none of the cavern. I forgot my camera the first day out. I'll try and figure out how to put some up in the next few days.